What if I can't come to Court on the day I am summoned for jury service?

Georgia law provides only two categories for complete exemption from jury duty:

  • Persons over 70 years of age
  • Persons with permanent mental/physical disability

In addition, Georgia law provides that two other groups of persons shall be excused from jury service:

  • Any person who is a full-time student at a college, university, or vocational school
  • Any person who is the primary caregiver having active care and custody of a child under four years of age in a situation where alternative child care is not reasonably available

If you believe you fall into one or more of these four categories and desire to be excused from jury duty, you should contact the office of the Clerk of Superior Court for your county in order to obtain the appropriate affidavit, which must be completed before you can be excused or exempted.

You may obtain the affidavit by going by the Clerk's office in the County Courthouse or by calling the Paulding County office at 770-443-7527.

If you already have plans and can't change them, you may ask that your jury service be postponed or rescheduled. This means that you arrange to serve on another day.

Requests for postponement must be submitted in writing and received in the Superior Court Clerk's office at least 10 days prior to the date you are supposed to report. In a personal emergency, give as much notice as possible.

Show All Answers

1. How are court staff positions defined?
2. What does it mean when I receive a letter marked "Jury Summons" for the Superior Court of Paulding County?
3. Why do I need to answer the questions on the questionnaire that comes with the letter and the summons for jury duty?
4. How long does jury service last?
5. What if I can't come to Court on the day I am summoned for jury service?