How can I pay my water bill?

Paulding County Water offers several different ways to pay your bill. 

  1. You may pay online at as a one time payment or register your water account to pay each month. Please note, there is a $2.45 processing fee for credit card and E-check payments. 
  2. You can mail your payment to: Paulding County Water, P.O. Box 16007, Atlanta, GA 30321-0007. 
  3. We offer Automatic Bank Draft, at no charge. If you are interested, please contact the office at 770-222-6868 or you may download the form directly at and email to once filled out. 
  4. You can pay at our office or at our drive thru, with a bill stub located at 3844 Atlanta Hwy, Hiram, GA 30141 during our normal business hours, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. with cash, credit card or money order. Please note, if you are using a credit card in the office, it must have your name on it and you must provide a valid id or we will not accept it. 
  5. To avoid being on hold, you can pay your water bill with Visa, MasterCard, Discover or electronic check by using our free automated system 24 hours a day. Please dial 770-222-6868 and press 1. You must have your account number and customer ID number to gain access to your billing information. 
  6. You can drop your payment off in our depository 24 hours a day, located in the first lane of our drive thru. Anything put in depository after 8 a.m. will be posted the next business day. Please do not put cash in the Depository. 
  7. You can now pay at one of our two PaySite Kiosks located on the side of our porch at 3844 Atlanta Hwy Hiram, GA 30141, available 24 hours a day or the one located inside the Paulding County Administration building at 240 Constitution Blvd Dallas, GA 30132; Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Show All Answers

1. How do I establish service?
2. What is the email address to send applications?
3. How do I transfer my service?
4. How can I pay my water bill?
5. What information is needed to pay online?
6. Can I pay my bill online if I have been disconnected?
7. Is there a fee to pay online?
8. How do I check my toilet for a leak?
9. Why is my water cloudy?
10. Does the AutoPay through Paymentus take the place of the Automatic Bank Draft with Paulding County Water?
11. If a balance is left unpaid on my account, does the balance follow the account or the customer?
12. Can I get an adjustment for filling a pool?
13. Can I get a leak adjustment?
14. Can I do a temporary service?
15. How do I log in online?
16. Can I pay through the kiosk?
17. Who do I call if I have a water leak or a water related emergency?