Sheriff Gary Gulledge has been employed with the Paulding County Sheriff’s Office since 1990. He began his career at the Sheriff’s Office as a jailer and rose through the ranks to the Office of Sheriff on January 1, 2009. Sheriff Gulledge has seen many changes at the Sheriff’s Office and in our county. Sheriff Gulledge is committed to maintaining the professionalism at the Sheriff’s Office and promises to serve our citizens in a fair and honest manner. Sheriff Gulledge ran unopposed in the 2012 and 2016 general elections and began his third term as the Sheriff of Paulding County on January 1, 2017.
Paulding County Service
Sheriff Gulledge began his career at the Paulding County Sheriff’s Office as a jailer. A short time later, he was promoted to the patrol division where he became a mandated deputy. Sheriff Gulledge then worked in the warrants division and briefly in the courthouse security division during high priority cases where security was a major concern.
Sheriff Gulledge spent the majority of his career in the K-9 Division where he and K-9 Basco were the first dual purpose K-9 team at the Paulding County Sheriff’s Office. Not only did Gary and his partner K-9 Basco make numerous arrests, but they have visited countless schools, Boy Scout troops, church groups, and many other community events. During his career with the Sheriff’s Office, Gary has attained the ranks of Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, and Lieutenant Colonel while serving in various divisions.
- Expanded the K-9 Division to four fully operational dual purpose K-9 teams in 2004
- Was one of the key individuals responsible for obtaining the permits for the Sheriff’s Office to utilize speed detection devices in the county (RADAR and LIDAR)
- Worked closely with the Haralson-Paulding Drug Task Force for many years and assisted in multiple drug arrest and drug seizures in Paulding, Haralson, and Polk counties
- Received approximately 3000 hours of Peace Officers Standards and Training Council (POST) training throughout his career
- Georgia POST certified law enforcement instructor
- Has both basic and advanced Airborne Counter-Drug Operations Training
- Paulding County Law Enforcement Officer of the Year in 1996
- Expanded the Training Division and built a new training complex to be opened at the end of 2015.
- Attained funding for added retirement benefits for all mandated deputies through the P.O.A.B.
- Named Georgia Sheriffs’ Association Region 1 Vice President in 2012
- Named to the Georgia Commission on Medical Cannabis by Governor Nathan Deal in August of 2015
- Member of the North Central Georgia Law Enforcement Academy Training Advisory Board
- Member of the Georgia Sheriffs’ Association Board of Directors
- Member of the Georgia Sheriffs’ Association Legislative Committee
Sheriff Gulledge is a life-long resident of Paulding County. He is married to Susie Vaughan Gulledge and has an adult daughter.