In an emergency, the best thing to do is to tell someone you trust right away. This might be your parents, a teacher or another adult. If there is no one around to help you, you can call 9-1-1 for help.
There are lots of fun activities for you to do while you are here and a special place to learn about 911 for kids.
What is 9-1-1?
9-1-1 is the telephone number you can call from any phone when you need help or you see someone else who needs help right away.
When Should I Call 9-1-1?
You should only call 9-1-1 when a person is hurt or property is in danger and you need emergency help from the police department, fire department or an ambulance.
What Do I Say?
- Stay calm and speak clearly.
- Listen carefully to the operators questions and answer each question carefully.
- Remember, you have to speak your answer, the operator cannot see you nod or shake your head.
- Tell the operator your emergency.
- Tell the operator your address *This is VERY important*
- DO not hang up until the operator tells you to do so.
- Remain calm and follow the operators instructions.
What if I Can't Speak?
- Stay calm and dial 9-1-1
- Don't hang up, either leave the phone off the hook or make a noise to let the operator know there is an emergency.
- Help will be sent to the address on the operators computer.