General Age Requirements
Parental Consent Requirements
- Applicants must be 18 years of age
- If either applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, parental consent is required
When parental consent is required, the following shall apply:
- The parents or guardians shall appear in person and consent to the marriage
- If physical presence - because of illness or infirmity - is impossible, an affidavit by that incapacitated parent or guardian, along with an affidavit signed by a licensed attending physician stating that they are physically incapable of being present, shall suffice
- In the case of pregnancy, the above shall also apply when applicants are 16 or 17
- The couple does not have to prove pregnancy because both parents or guardians have to consent
- A parent with sole custody can sign, but proof of custody must be provided
No one under the age of 16 shall be issued a marriage license under any circumstance, even if she is pregnant or has a child together with the prospective spouse.
For more information, please call (770) 443-7541.